The Interview Cinematographer Pre-production Journal

Summary

The period of Pre-Production is perhaps the most intensive for the role of a cinematographer. While production requires strict adherence to a predetermined shot list, pre-production requires a significant amount of planning and forethought as well as heavy collaboration within the production team. For this production, my pre-production work will be focused on determining how distance can affect the mood and tone of a shot/scene. I also want to practice working with focus and shifting focus within a single shot in order to shift perspective.

Element 74: Push in – Pull out

Element 59: Extreme Close-Up

Film Element 67: Static Shot

Test Shots

Difference in focal length:

Difference in camera placements:

Lighting Tests

I conducted a lighting test in the green room in order to determine how exactly my light source would affect the subject I was filming. I determined that filming in a dark location has the benefit of being able to heavily control the lighting environment. However, given my resources as a student, I think that experimenting with both natural light and controlled light will yield a more diverse lightscape for my current film production.

Equipment Checklist

-Camera 1

-Alternate Camera

-Tripod

-Light Block

-Audio Deck

-XLR Cord

-Boom Mic

-USB transfer cables (camera and audio deck)

Collaboration with Director

NA (2-person film team)

Set-up Sequence Workflow

-Acquire cameras

-Test lens focus and battery levels

-Acquire tripod/stabilizing equipment

-Move to the shooting location

-Set up tripod/s at the predetermined angles and heights

-Affix camera/s to tripods and set brightness levels

-Roll camera

Map of Each Location

Storyboard Notation

What I Learned

I learned from this production that I still have a lot to learn (obviously) about how to properly fulfill the role of a cinematographer, as well as how to properly collaborate with my film team. In previous productions, I was unaware of the heavy amount of work needed during pre-production. This time around, I was able to practice my skills of setting intentions and applying them to my production. As a cinematographer, I developed many of my 21st-century skills, most particularly problem-solving. This is because our film team was limited to two members, so I had to juggle my responsibilities as a cinematographer while also fulfilling the jobs of other roles.